Saturday, August 15, 2009

Inertia

Google define: inertia

inactiveness: a disposition to remain inactive or inert; "he had to overcome his inertia and get back to work"
(physics) the tendency of a body to maintain its state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force
source

The disposition to remain inactive or inert. Much as a rolling stone will not gather moss so too won't a person who is always up and about turn to seed.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, so the saying goes.

I have had the same experience, and I am afraid I keep having it.

Back in college I took a course under the Leadership & Strategy section of my university. My teacher had for our final examinations a group oral exam. We were all tasked to sit down and chat with our teacher Fr. Candelaria, S.J.

My group went on and on about leadership, the proper way to prioritize, the pareto method and other subjects. Fr. Candy's blue eyes then went over to my side of the room. He began to ask me what is your plan after graduation? I was 3rd year then and on schedule. I wanted to make it big in business and in society in general, I wanted to make a difference and donate schools and build churches and houses and all of that jazz. I thought I had a well defined plan, I was thinking too far ahead it seems. You have a goal, but how do you get there? asks Fr. Candy. You see you are like the other college students, you all have goals but none of you have plans. You have the abilities to make it big but have no idea on how to do it.

This entry is about first steps, but in order to have a meaningful first step it must be put down in a plan first. In college I had as yet no plan, I saw the world as an oyster, it existed only for my pleasure. That is the problem with having no plan and having done nothing. There will always be too many possibilities for you to consider all of them and move on the best one. A person who buys nothing will have the worst buyer's remorse.

The plan makes the first step meaningful, and the first step sets the whole thing in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment