Saturday, January 31, 2009

On Well-Being and being well

A spa serves to relax and calm a person. But can it also cure him?

It depends on the idea of a cure. If a cure is a pill, a capsule or a tablet then the relaxation of one's body will not be a cure.

My university advocated many things but one I remember more "Mens sana in corpore sano" A sound mind in a sound body. I believe that the mind, the will can do great things. Mind over matter it has been said. But once the body breaks, the mind can no longer do.

So back to the idea of a spa. Or therapy, or treatment or whatever which way you choose to designate it. As long as you can relax, it will be good for you.

I posted in my other blog A friend of wisdom an entry about ENIT or Etheric Nerve Impulse Therapy. I find that its really a good experience I recommend checking it out if you're in the Philippines. It is not magic nor the fusion of science and belief that I think differentiates ENIT from other forms of relaxation. In fact I don't think ENIT is different at all.

The main concept behind such therapy is the appeasement of a troubled mind through calming of the body. The main cause of our aches and pains is usually stress. Stress cannot be felt by the body, it is the mind that feels the stress and the body must feel sleep-deprivation, unhealthy diets, lack of exercise etc. ENIT strives to go after those aches and pains by releasing the symptoms of stress and at the same time calming the mind, through Nerve therapy (i.e. really good massage)

In sum I think there should be a holistic or at least pragmatic approach to fighting stress. You go after the pains of the body so you can calm the mind. I think it would be good to mix and match different styles, whether its a massage you're after (like what you'll get in ENIT) or you're looking for hours to be alone and reflect, it depends on what you want. Whatever it is you do to relax your mind and body keep in mind the Latin phrase "mens sana in corpore sano" a sound mind in a sound body.

No comments:

Post a Comment